about me

My photo
Internal comms person/plumber and lover of life's quirks

Tuesday 23 December 2014

Doggone it, who's in charge here?

Having once been on a course entitled How to be as happy as your dog (and I didn’t even have a canine companion at that time) I feel I am more then qualified to talk about training in all its forms - both good and bad.

The dog course was unsurprisingly awful but the memory lives on in the sheer entertainment value of recounting how I ended up woofing at my fellow course companions and laughing hysterically. Clearly How to be as happy as your dog lived up to its title and promise.

Now the real reason I mention training is that a client and friend of mine has a tiny little dilemma involving her as head of internal comms and her lovely leadership and development colleagues in HR.

Their corporate battle is being fought over whom is best equipped and experienced enough to coach some of the organisation’s line managers in the fine (and forgotten) art of conversation with their teams.

L&D have a fabulous e-learning module (an oxymoron) and Powerpoint deck (always good for truly involving communication) into which, doubtless, the hapless line managers will be sheep dipped - thus transforming them and their communication skills forever.

My pal feels it will take much more than that and is suggesting an experiential approach. She has even mooted HR and IC work together (god forbid there’s collaboration across the silos).

The jury is still out but I would be interested to know from others if this is a topic causing friction in your own business.

And while you're doing that, I'm off for a walkies.

No comments:

Post a Comment