about me

My photo
Internal comms person/plumber and lover of life's quirks

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Industry events: the good, the bad and the ugly

To go or not to go to an industry conference - that is the question.

With the growth of Linked In, Twitter and other social media, sharing knowledge in this business is easier than ever. Some of my virtual worlds often meet up face to face to network and swap war stories. It got me wondering how the world of the practitioner conference is faring and reminded me of a big online debate had with colleagues and peers this time last year about the value and ethics of the large conferences which used to be the only way to connect with people doing what you do every day.

I think conferences are like any comms channel. They are only as good as the content - whether it’s going to really add value to me or someone who works for me, whether it’s going to provoke fresh thinking and sharing of best practice, and whether I will make new connections or catch up with people I already know.

I have worked both in house and agency/consultancy side and been to some absolutely shocking events repackaging common sense and charging people the equivalent of an oligarch's annual expenses - with nothing to take away.

Equally I have happily paid to attend or send a colleague to events run by individual practitioners, agencies and membership bodies such as IoIC, CIPR and IABC. Usually these offer a healthy mix of strategy and tactics leaving my sometimes jaded outlook well and truly refreshed and giving team members food for thought to help their professional development. Freebies (again with the most pertinent content) are always welcome when budgets are tight or non existent and there are more and more of these.

But beware one of two that look 'no strings attached' but can be financially ruthless. A few years ago I was almost thrown out at a 'free' annual conference for senior practitioners when they ‘unmasked’ me as an interim head of internal comms – apparently a heinous crime because “suppliers only want to speak to budget holders.” I thought I was – trust me I was in that job for a very long time, had signed more than enough supplier invoices and helped a lot of change happen.

Their short sightedness (call it ignorance) and, frankly, rude dealings with me means they never get my personal recommendation and I always give colleagues a health warning if they get tempted. It’s a small world and we are so connected that events charlatans be warned. We know who you are!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's shocking you were so badly treated as an interim! What makes you less of a budget-holder? Albeit temporary. The internal comms industry is pretty much run by interims at the moment, as we all know. Let's hope these organisers have woken up to that fact!

    I find conferences excellent for networking: meeting up with former colleagues, quizzing the speakers, looking out for new suppliers - or new employers...

    I go for all the reasons above aswell as learning. It's true I've yawned my way through some Death by powerpoint afternoons. Embarrasing that communicators are so often so bad at communicating!

    But we're all looking for extra value for money at the moment and I think the industry knows that.

    ReplyDelete